All-Oregon

All-Oregon Home
Oregon Cities
Oregon Businesses
Oregon Real Estate
Oregon Events

Oregon Lodging
Oregon Attractions
Oregon Recreation
Oregon Shopping

Oregon Attractions
Casinos
Covered Bridges
Gardens
Historic Buildings
Hot Springs
Lighthouses
Museums
National Forests
State Parks
Theatre
Tours
Unique to Oregon
Vineyards

Add Your Site

Subscribe to the
All-Oregon Newsletter
It's FREE!

Each issue will bring you fun Oregon information,
upcoming Oregon events, travel ideas and more. 
Just send an email to jackiefarris@all-oregon.com
to receive your first issue.  (We do not sell or give our email list to anyone.)




Oregon Covered Bridges

Alsea

Hayden Bridge
This bridge, just two miles west of Alsea, has wooden plank flooring. The portal, once round in shape, has been squared to facilitate larger loads.

Fisher School Bridge
Also known as Fiver Rivers Bridge, for the five streams which make up the river. The bridge was closed to crossing in the 1970s. Infrequent maintenance has caused deterioration.

back to top

  


Bend

Rock of the Range
A private covered span, dedicated for use by the public.

back to top


Brownsville

Crawfordsville Covered Bridge
The Crawfordsville covered bridge has a double truss, wood shingle roof, and three support rods at each support location with adjustment nuts below the bridge. The town and bridge were named after area settler Philemon Crawford. This bridge is owned by the Linn County Parks Department.

back to top


Canyonville

Milo Academy Bridge
This covered span replaced an earlier wooden truss covered bridge at this site; it is actually a steel bridge with a wooden housing and metal roof.

back to top


Corvallis

Irish Bend Bridge
Named for its original location along the Willamette River, it was used from 1954 - the mid-1970s. It was reassembled in 1989 at its present site on the Oregon State University campus.

back to top


Cottage Grove

Chambers Railroad Bridge
About a half a mile from Main Street on South River Road, just past Harrison Avenue, this bridge is the only remaining covered railroad bridge in Oregon. It was built in 1925 to bring logs to the J.H. Chambers Mill in Cottage Grove. The bridge is 78 feet long.

Currin Bridge
The Currin Bridge, named for an early pioneer family in the area, is sometimes referred to as the Row River Bridge because of the Stream it crosses. The original bridge was built by Nels Roney in 1883 for the cost of $1,935. When the bridge was to be replaced in 1925, County officials decided it could build the bridge cheaper than the lowest bid of $6,250. County employees constructed the bridge for $4,205 and saved a total of $2,495 tax dollars. Design elements include single-piece hand hewn chords, cross-wise planking on the approaches, and a corrugated metal roof.

Dorena Bridge
Located at the upper end of Dorena Reservoir, the Dorena Covered Bridge was built in conjunction with the completion of Dorena Dam. Sometimes referred to as Star Bridge, it provides access to the nearby Star Ranch. Star Ranch was once a large private estate that has been reduced to about 100 acres. The original town site named for Dora Burnette and Rena Martin (by combining parts of their first names) is underwater at the bottom of the reservoir.

Mosby Creek Bridge
The Mosby Creek Bridge is Lane County's oldest covered bridge. It was built in 1920 at a cost of $4,125 and was named for the pioneer David Mosby. David Mosby settled in 1853 and staked claim to 1,600 acres east of the present day city of Cottage Grove.

Stewart Bridge
Constructed in 1930, Stewart Bridge has borne the brunt of many nature's whims. The raging water of the 1964 Christmas Flood caused the lower chords of the bridge to crack. A few years later, heavy snowfall caused the roof bracing to give way and the entire roof caved in. Repairs to the bridge made it usable until it was bypassed in the 1980s by a concrete bridge.

back to top


Dallas

Ritner Creek Bridge
Ritner Creek Bridge was moved from State Highway 223 to a wayside park in 1976. The bridge has Gothic windows on each side and a cedar shake roof.

back to top


Drain

Pass Creek Bridge
The Pass Creek covered bridge is one of 51 existing truss spans in the state.  In addition to being one of the oldest bridges in Oregon, this is one of the few that is within city boundaries. The original bridge was built in the 1870's as part of the overland stage route from Roseburg to Scottsburg.  It was rebuilt in 1925, and part of the present truss may be hand-hewn timbers reused from the 1870 bridge.  The roof was rebuilt in 1969 after damage from heavy snowfall.

back to top


Eagle Point

Antelope Creek Bridge
Closed to crossing in the 1960s, the bridge was moved to Eagle Point and rebuilt by local volunteers for rededication in 1987.

Lost Creek Bridge
Believed to have been built as early as 1878, this Queenpost truss bridge has been closed to automobile crossing since 1979.

back to top


Eugene

Deadwood Bridge
The architectural elements of Deadwood Bridge are quite unique. Flooring was installed on a slant so that traffic rounding the corner onto the bridge would travel more safely. Other elements include false end beams, semi-elliptical portal arches with trim, and large openings along the west elevation. The cost to build the bridge totaled $4,814, and it became a part of the state's secondary road system.

Lake Creek Bridge
The Lake Creek Covered Bridge is often referred to as the Nelson Mountain Bridge because it is located on Nelson Mountain Road. Like many covered bridges, both the upper and lower chords are one piece old-growth timbers. The lower timbers measure 14" x 14" x 111 feet and the upper timbers measure 12" x 12" x 79 feet.  The bridge was rehabilitated in 1984. Contractors replaced the wooden flooring with pre-cast concrete slab decking. Because the concrete flooring and center pier do not support the trusses, a crane was required to slide the slabs into place. The wooden abutments and trestle approaches were also replaced with concrete material.

Wildcat Bridge
Wildcat Covered Bridge crosses Wildcat Creek near its confluence with the Siuslaw River. The 75 foot long span includes a long narrow opening on the east side to provide a view of oncoming traffic. The nearby Austa boat ramp provides access to the Siuslaw River for fishermen.

back to top


Glide

Cavitt Creek Covered Bridge
The upper supports are raw logs. The odd portal shape was designed for log truck crossing. The bridge has small windows on each side and is painted white.

back to top


Lincoln City

Drift Creek Bridge
Built to serve the coast's horse and buggy crossing. Closed in the 1960s, it was dismantled and moved to Bear Creek in 1997.

back to top


Lowell

Lowell Bridge
Amos Hyland settled on the Middle Fork of the Willamette River in 1874 and plotted the small town of Lowell. Hyland operated a ferry across the Willamette near the present site of the Lowell Covered bridge, until a bridge was first built in 1907. That bridge was replaced in 1945 after a truck accident knocked the truss out of alignment. In 1947, the structure was housed. The entire bridge was raised 6 feet in 1953 in anticipation of the flooding produced by Dexter Dam. Calculations about the height of water were correct and the water level has never risen closer than 2 feet from the bottom of the bridge.

Parvin Bridge
The Parvin Covered Bridge was built in 1921, replacing a bridge erected on the site in the late 1880s. Lane County contracted with George W. Breeding to construct the bridge for a cost of $3,600.  The bridge was bypassed in the mid-1970s when the road was realigned and it was restricted to pedestrian traffic. Lane County officials decided to reopen the bridge in 1986, and attending the opening ceremony were the granddaughters of James and Salina Parvin, settlers who had homesteaded in the area during the 1850s.

Pengra Bridge
The Pengra Bridge contains two of the longest timbers ever cut for a bridge in Oregon. The lower chords measuring 16" x 18" x 126 feet were too large to be ran through a mill and were therefore rough hewn in the woods. Booth-Kelley Lumber Company cut and transported the timbers to the bridge site by truck where they were resurfaced before being set into place.  The bridge was named for B.J. Pengra, a pioneer who eventually became general Surveyor of Oregon in 1862. Pengra surveyed the Oregon Central Military Road which linked the Willamette Valley with the Owyhee mining country of Eastern Oregon.

Unity Bridge
Lane County used a standard design for the construction of the Unity Covered Bridge, but they included a full length window on the east side to give motorists a glimpse of oncoming traffic. The bridge cost the County $4,400 to construct and was completed in 1936.

back to top


Marcola

Earnest Bridge
The original covered bridge at this location was built in 1903 by A.C. Striker and was called Adams Bridge. The bridge was replaced in 1938 by Lane County for a cost of $2,449, and was renamed after a longtime local resident. A standard Lane County design element can be seen represented in this bridge: a small hooded opening on one elevation of the bridge for improved motorist visibility. The Earnest Bridge appeared in the movie Shenandoah, filmed in the Mohawk Valley during the mid-1960s. The movie company altered the bridge to reflect Civil War architecture, and then restored it back to the original condition in 1965.

Wendling Bridge
The Wendling Covered Bridge is one of four covered bridges built by Lane County in 1938. The others are the Pengra, Goodpasture, and Earnest Covered Bridges. The Wendling Covered Bridge cost Lane County $2,241 to build. Cross planking on the bridge approaches rumble slightly as travelers cross over the scenic Mill Creek just northeast of Marcola.

back to top


Myrtle Creek

Horse Creek Bridge
Close to crossing in 1968, community volunteers coordinated disassembly and reconstruction of the bridge in 1990 at Myrtle Creek, where it was restored in a city park.

Neal Lake Bridge
This Kingpost truss bridge is one of the shortest covered bridges in the state, and the only one with this truss design.

back to top


Philomath

Harris Bridge
Designed in the typical Howe truss style, this 1929 structure exmplifies all that is romantic about covered bridges. The Harris Bridge is located along a winding gravel road near Wren. It is named after the Harris family who settled out side of Corvallis Oregon in 1890. The current bridge is a replacement of its original.

back to top


Portland

Cedar Crossing Bridge
When Multnomah County officials wanted a covered bridge, they built one to replace an earlier uncovered bridge. It is not supported by a wooden truss, but by a laminated stringer.

back to top


Rogue River

Wimer Bridge
Some people debate over this Queenpost span being built in 1892, rather than 1927, as indicated by builder records. The bridge features a shingle roof, wooden decking and buttresses.

back to top


Roseburg

Sandy Creek Bridge
The county's lone covered bridge neat Remote was by-passed from auto-crossing in 1949 and now rests in a wayside park.

back to top


Scio

Gilkey Bridge
The Gilkey Covered Bridge crosses Thomas Creek. It was built in 1928. The Gilkey Covered Bridge is one of the best kept bridges you will visit on the Scio Covered Bridges Tour. It's clean white paint is a common characteristic of many of Oregon's Covered Bridges.

Hannah Bridge
Hannah Covered Bridge was constructed in 1936. It bridges Thomas Creek, which is crossed by Camp Morrison Road.

Huffman Bridge
Huffman Covered Bridge crosses Crabtree Creek. It was built in 1936.

Larwood Bridge
Larwood Covered Bridge spans Crabtree Creek. It was built in 1939.The Larwood Wayside was developed beside the bridge and is a great place for a picnic. Picnic tables and a bathroom are easily accessible. You will be treated with views of both the Larwood Covered Bridge and an abandon waterwheel on the south side of Crabtree Creek.

Shimanek Bridge
The Shimanek Covered Bridge was constructed in 1966. It is painted red with white trim and is kept in good repair (from external appearances). It bridges Thomas Creek, which is crossed by Richardson Gap Road. The bridge is pictured looking to the south from the north side of the bridge.

back to top


Silverton

Gallon House Bridge
Oregon's oldest covered bridge. It was named for the days when liquor was sold by that gallon or quart in a nearby house. The bridge was rebuilt in 1990.

back to top


Springfield

Belknap Bridge
The Belknap Bridge, sometimes referred to as the McKenzie River Bridge, occupies a site in which a covered bridge has been in continuous use since 1890. The first bridge was replaced by Lane County in 1911. It was then replaced in 1939 and served traffic until being destroyed in the Christmas Flood of 1964. The current bridge was designed by the Oregon Bridge Corporation (OBEC), Eugene for Lane County. Louvered arch windows were added in 1975 to the south side to provide interior illumination. The name Belknap refers to early settlers along the McKenzie River. R.S. Belknap developed Belknap Springs and his son, J.H. Belknap, was involved in the toll road over the McKenzie Pass in the early 1870s.

Goodpasture Bridge
One of the most beautiful and photographed covered bridges in the state, the Goodpasture Covered Bridge is also the second longest covered bridge in Oregon. The structure has superb architectural detailing, including 10 gothic style louvered windows on each side, false end beams, semi-elliptical portals, and a 165 foot housed Howe truss. Lane County spent $13,154 constructing the bridge in 1938 and it was named for the pioneer Goodpasture family, who settled near the town of Vida.

back to top


Stayton

Stayton-Jordan Bridge
Patterned after the Jordan Bridge, which spanned Thomas Creek, east of Scio; it was moved to Pioneer Park in 1988, but burned in 1994. Stayton-Jordan Bridge, newly rebuilt, is used for picnic and weddings.

back to top


Sunny Valley

Grave Creek Bridge
This bridge, with Gothic style windows on either side, is the county's only covered span. It once handled crossing on the main north-south highway, but now serves only local traffic.

back to top


Sutherlin

Rochester Bridge
A plan to replace this bridge ultimately resulted in its repair. Unusual curved windows are displayed along each side.

back to top


Sweet Home

Dahlenburg Covered Bridge
The Dahlenburg covered bridge has a single truss, wood shingle roof, and two support rods at each support location with adjustment nuts below the bridge. This bridge was designed and built by the construction class of Sweet Home High School. The bridge was named after the instructor of the class, Ben Dahlenburg.

Short Covered Bridge
The Short covered bridge has a double truss, wood shingle roof, and three support rods at each support location with adjustment nuts below the bridge. The bridge is named after Gordon Short, a local resident.

Weddle Covered Bridge
The Weddle covered bridge has a double truss, wood shingle roof, and three support rods at each support location with adjustment nuts below the bridge. The bridge was named after a farmer. This bridge was originally located over Thomas Creek on Kelly Road near Crabtree, Oregon. There was a curve in the road approaching the bridge and during icy road conditions, cars would frequently slide into the bridge.

Whittemore Covered Bridge
The Whittemore covered bridge has a single truss, wood shingle roof, and two support rods at each support location with adjustment nuts below the bridge. This is a small-sized footbridge built by school instructor Ben Dahlenburg and his students. You can walk over this bridge.

back to top


Toledo

Chitwood Bridge
Exhibits a cedar shake roof, flare sides painted barn red, wooden deck. Due to damage in 1982, it was closed to crossing for a 1983 restoration.

back to top


Veneta

Coyote Creek Bridge
The Coyote Creek Bridge is often referred to as the Battle Creek Bridge because it is located on Battle Creek Road. Some still refer to it as Swing Long Bridge since it was called this many years ago. Design elements in this bridge include housed buttresses, ribbon openings under the eves, and rectangular portals. Heavy snowfall severely damaged the bridge in 1969 as the weight of several feet of snow collapsed the roof. The rafters were sawed off and the bridge was left uncovered until County crews could repair it in the spring.

back to top


Westfir

Office Bridge
At 180 feet in length, the Office Covered Bridge is the longest covered bridge in Oregon. It was constructed by the Westfir Lumber Company using triple timber beams to provide the strength required to carry heavy logging trucks. The bridge connects the lumber mill with the office (hence the name of the bridge).  This bridge is one of only two covered bridges in Oregon constructed with triple truss members. Another distinctive feature of the bridge is a covered walkway on the side of the bridge, separate from the roadway.

back to top


Yachats

Fisher School Bridge
The Queenpost truss structure was rebuilt in 1989, featuring Lincoln County covered bridge attributes; a cedar shake roof; a wooden deck floor, and curved portal openings.

back to top